Your contribution to United Way, no matter how great or small, makes a difference. That's the strength of United Way. Combined with the gifts of others, your gift supports a coordinated network of health and human services that are changing lives for at-risk kids, senior citizens, people with disabilities, and many more of your friends and neighbors. And your gift is 100% tax-deductible.
Policy on Voluntary Giving
- Any use of pressure or coercion is unethical and does far more harm to our organization and those we serve than any short-term gains it may produce.
- Contributing to United Way should be presented as an opportunity to positively impact the community.
- The most effective workplace campaigns are the result of employee education about United Way and the value it brings to the donor through its partnerships with government, schools, businesses, individuals, and other non-profit organizations.
- Payroll deduction allows donors to give as generously as they like by deducting a small amount per pay period.
These principles are shared with our volunteers and with the companies who participate in employee campaigns.
A How-To Guide for Charitable Giving
As the nation’s largest charity, United Way understands the impact that charitable giving has on improving communities and helping individuals. United Way also understands how important it is to choose the right organization to donate your hard-earned dollars. As you prepare to make any type of charitable gift, we urge you to follow the simple guidelines below.
1. View Your Donation as an Investment. Any gift to a charity should be seen as an investment, and you want to invest in a charity that will make a major impact on its recipients while also giving you personal satisfaction. An investment approach to a particular group or cause will ensure a more meaningful experience for you.
2. Do Your Homework. When selecting where to give, it is important to gather all the facts. Conducting thorough research prior to giving will help you separate legitimate charities from frauds, as well as reassure you that your donation is truly helping those who need it most.